Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Miller & Willie.


CLICK TO ENLARGE
I called up and got an annoyed sounding woman's "Hello?" I asked if I had reached Andrew's Brewing Company. I heard a shuffling and then a man's voice came on "Hello?" I asked again and he confirmed that I had the right number. I asked whether they do brewery tours (with the hope of meeting the animals pictured on the beer label). That's when I learned the tragic news.

The man on the phone said the dog and cat (Miller and Willie) are long dead. But, he said, they led good lives and are buried in the backyard. Oh, and there are plenty of other dogs and cats running around the brewery these days, I was assured. I asked the man's name and he sounded confused. "Andy." Of course, what was I thinking? This brewery doesn't even have a website, let alone a staff.

Andy said he doesn't much like giving tours, but he will if he has to. He's two hours north of Portland, not too far from Bar Harbor. He said if I give him a few days' notice, he could show me around on a Saturday. He usually cuts wood all day on Saturdays, he said. But he'd come out of the woods to show me the place. And added that I shouldn't expect too much. "It's no Shipyard Brewery, but the beer's better at least."

I also learned that Miller the dog had a brother named Nick, as if I needed another reason to drink this beer. Seriously, with this label, I don't know how Andrew's isn't a major contender.

No comments: