Sunday, January 27, 2008

Lien On Me.


Two liens actually. One federal and one state. It's okay though; they'll magically disappear from my credit report in 10 years. Poof!

I've been ruminating about my FICO score lately as I helplessly watch an assortment of nails expertly hammered into my credit coffin. The IRS action was the debt zenith of the recent months since my move to Maine. Other highlights include my bank closing my checking account following a "sustained overdraft" of $650; an ER bill sent to collections; a few cell phone and internet shut-offs; back rent on our apartment, vet and car repair bills, etc.

Of course a job-- even a modest job-- would set me on the road to recovery. I had a job, as a Traveling IT Guy, but I just found out that the company I was working for was less-than-clear about what I was being paid. The $1,300 check I was planning on using to pay my back rent appeared in my mailbox in the form of a $200 slap in the face. All of my jobs for the past two months, even jobs I drove 2 hours to get to, were paid at only $20 each (but were supposed to pay out at $55-$250 per job).

The only solid job lead I have now is with a large local employer who requires a credit check. Yep, I need "an excellent credit score" (according to my 20-year-old recruiter) in order to be considered for employment with this company. In fact, when this policy was introduced in December, the person in the now-vacant position was fired for having a bankruptcy on his report. It seems the company retro-assessed the "risk" of their current employees.

I also needed to provide a list, including dates, of all of my residences for the past seven years (I've had nine). And submit to a drug test. I have to wonder if there are civilizations whose members don't live and die by their credit histories.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if it helps at all, your blog is quite amusing. I really liked the posting about the mug, it got me through a day of clicking and dragging so much my wrist is achy and my fingers are tinggling (and not in a good way).

Nick Adams said...

It DOES help. I mean it. I love to know I'm not yelping into the Ether. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I have a blog too.