Saturday, January 19, 2008

Driven by Positive Thinking.


My "manager" at the hotel bar is about 25. This is his mug.

My girlfriend doesn't think this is funny and I sort of agree. She thinks it's just pedestrian and not any more clever than the average indie comedy film about hipster slackers working corporate jobs. I do agree, but when I post here, it's more about identifying things that depress me rather than trying to make people laugh.

After all, I really don't have or expect a readership. I've posted over 60 items and have had 3 comments from the world. I do this for me, for my current and future self. Maybe by trotting my pet peeves out, I'll realize their banality and move on.

I guess what I hate about this mug is that this guy has been effectively lobotomized at age 25. The mug is consistent with the rest of his personality and his "go get 'em-ness" as an assistant manager at an airport hotel. Perhaps what really bothers me is that:

a. I wish I was blissfully ignorant like him;
b. my inability to understand him reminds me of the alienation I feel as an American;
c. he earns more than I do;
d. he has more hair than me;
e. he has better credit than me;
f. he's younger than me;
g. he's on a career track.

Or maybe I just hate him because he's Driven by Positive Thinking.

No comments: