Saturday, December 15, 2007

*Results Not Typical.


I've been working sometimes for this weird tech support dispatch service. Calls come in via text messages and email and us registered techs sign into our "online office" and either accept or reject the jobs. There are a lot of techs and not a lot of jobs, so it's a scramble to get to the computer as fast as possible to claim the available work.

Recently I scored a gravy job (you might say) carting some old dander-riddled PCs from the sinister-looking meeting room of a Jenny Craig franchise in a nearby strip mall. If you haven't been to one, these "weight loss centers" are in a formal sense like gyms for sedentary optimists. Here, plump, shawl-clad "weight-loss consultants" tailor an eating regimen to allow clients to achieve their fantasy girth. All the trappings of a gym are present: duplicitous salespeople, unclear terms of service, memberships, managers, proprietary equipment, etc. Though I guess gyms don't have posters of Kirstie Alley everywhere.

Anyway, check out this photo I scored while there. These 'food portraits' are about 3 feet square in real life! Jenny's "product", that is, what the "consultants" are selling, is this weird food that is stored and sold on the premises. In fact, when I walked into the place I flashed back to the first time I walked into an Arby's (it was during a Minneapolis winter. I was a freshman in college and had just sold plasma next door and Arby's cashed the plasma checks but I digress). Wet cat food. That's the smell.

No comments: