Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Seattle Sucks: Exhibits 1-3

Even 5 years after my 18-month stint in Seattle, I can get instantly riled-up about how much I hated it. I really and truly hated it. Hopefully through writing here I can say my peace and try to move on, but Seattle offended me on such a deep and personal level as to become an archetype of sorts. I'm not sure I can forgive Seattle, but I'd like to try. For my own sake.

The first step, I think, is airing all of my grievances. This will take many posts. As I write, I'll need to pepper the reader with examples. I'll number them (in no particular order) because there aren't enough letters in the alphabet.

Here's Exhibit 1.

I hesitate to even comment on why a convention of Furries creeps me out. I would actually see people walking around Seattle with Conifur t-shirts (the predecessor to RainFurrest). These are sick, sick people (or "folks" as they like to say in Seattle). Sick 'folks.' If you are a sicko, you should seek help. Please do not try to pretend that this fetish is benign or somehow deserves recognition in society.

This is a good segue into Exhibit 2.

Fat lib has the same air of cavalier ignorance as RainFurrest. Again, instead of fixing problems, people in Seattle celebrate them. Basically giving up and having no respect for themselves. This theme is omnipresent in Seattle. Sort of like the Gum Wall.

People 'let themselves go' in such extreme ways that it sometimes seemed like I was strolling the grounds of a sanitarium. Yet I think somehow they feel like they're 'keepin it real' by not wasting money on clothes, haircuts, razors, deodorant, etc. For example, Seattle is crawling with dudes wearing ponytails and/or nasty unkempt beards (known as unix beards) and/or Drizabone coats (huh?!) and/or fedoras! Frequently ALL of the above in a single ensemble!

So I guess this guy will be Exhibit 3.

Women are no exception, and until I lived in Brooklyn I never could have realized the similarity of "folks" in Seattle to Frum, whose very appearance is a sort of masochistic hair shirt.

sackcloth... sack-dress... coincidence?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

God this is funny. I just moved to Portland after 15 years in Seattle. It's hard to believe it's the same country.

Anonymous said...

I have seen several guys in Seattle in 2007 & 2008 wearing nasty beards, Drizabone coats, fedoras, AND Utilikilts all at the same time! I almost puked laughing!!!

The most absurd thing about it is that they think they look COOL!!!