Monday, October 22, 2007

Beginning at The Beginning.

I was brought up godless and I stayed that way. I don't understand why, if people really believe in god, they aren't running around screaming and yelling with shivers constantly running up and down their spines and why they'd be able to concentrate on anything as mundane as earthly tasks like programming the TiVo or blanching green beans? Like how I might feel if I saw a flying saucer in the woods or if my cat abruptly turned to me and said "it's Tuesday, don't forget the recycling." I'd go bananas. Yet people believe a WAY bigger deal exists than a talking cat and yet they're just like "Whatever"?

In 1985 I had the Back to the Future soundtrack on cassette and I'd fall asleep listening to the instrumental side while thinking about flying a remote controlled airplane (the object of my desire at that time). I remember thinking: if I ever get my hands on an RC plane, how will I EVER concentrate on ANYTHING ELSE? My life and every minute of it would be completely and utterly devoted to flying that plane! Imagine 100 years previous, just the notion of an airplane AT ALL probably made the Wright brothers (and the rest of humanity) feel the same way!

Yet the plane showed up (theirs, not mine) and the world kept on keepin' on. The running around and screaming probably only lasted a few days and though a major era was born, people still found a way to concentrate on blanching green beans. So I wonder. Maybe I need a grander analogy still. What if there really was a time-traveling DeLorean? Would that be enough to cause mass hysteria? Lawlessness? I just don't believe that ppl truly believe there's a god or an afterlife.

Anyway... how about that local sports team?

No comments: